Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Head ramblings to the T V

Whenever I work, I can only focus when I have the radio, TV, or something else to occupy some of my senses. Today I am watching the Dalai Lama as I write this. As this good man speaks, the headline below reads "Bush Angers China". Do any others find this as silly as I do. In my mind, that is extremely provocative to China. It makes me want to buy Bush's people the old book by Dale Carnegie, HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE. It is rather difficult to find countries left the US haan't dissed somehow. If China called for payment of what we owe them, they would own us.

Bush took a position I completely support. I do not take issue with his position. I take issue with the headline placed there, no doubt by some non-tactful media person which Bush's people either didn't watch or thought clever...in either case, or another, it reflects the insensitive politics we have been using for some time. The media presents itself like the Saturday serials, the cliffhangers of a couple of generations ago. 'Stay tuned to this broadcast to find out what the latest disaster is in California', thus leaving a terrified public, with relatives in that area, waiting through the too-many commercials and other stories to find out what happened.

The average person can no longer distinguish between political entertainers like Limbaugh, Stewart, SNL or others. Newspapers have been sold so often, while retaining the name, that few people really know the hidden agendas of the owners. How many people realize that the Washington Times is owned by the Reverend Moon, who considers "he was "sent to Earth . . . to save the world's six billion people. . . . Emperors, kings and presidents . . . have declared to all Heaven and Earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity's Savior, Messiah, Returning Lord and True Parent." (The Washington Post, 6/23/2004) Are people aware that the Washington Post, Slate and Newsweek among many others are under one ownership?

If control of media is power (and I believe it certainly is) then see what Rupert Murdoch holds.
If your stomach can take it, scroll all the way down to the news and radio stations, TV holdings, etc. Whatever happened to the original intent not to allow one company to own more than one newspaper and one radio station? The FCC let us down on that one, for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well... all is well in the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

In reality, we're all laughing at you from over here in Europy. But it is a forced and frightened laugh, I admit.