Thursday, October 25, 2007

WISHING YOUR LIFE AWAY

So many of us, during our working lives, wish for the weekdays to hurry by, to get to the weekend; we wish for the time to pass quickly when some dreaded medical procedure will be over, or some other anxiety producing or very boring event will cease. While I have prided myself that I don't live in the past, I realize I have spent too much time 'wishing my life away'.

It is not a problem that I have given up activities that are beyond my bodily strength or endurance. I never wanted to climb a mountain anyway. I used to have a professor who advised, "If you feel the urge to climb a mountain, lie down and the urge will pass." And, it always did. Whenever I perceived any 'mountain', I ignored it and did something else. I now realize that it fits with always being aware of one's parameters. If I don't have to do something and I don't want to do it, that is the winning combination. There is always something else to do that includes only one of those criteria.

The only time I really DO wish my days to pass quickly is when I am ill. That doesn't happen too often, but being miserable, confined to bed with weakness, unable to concentrate on reading, achy, head hurting, I stay in bed and do what I have to do to sleep a lot until my immune system takes over and banishes the bugs. I do not suffer waiting well. I wish the time would pass waiting for people to arrive, waiting for the doctor or dentist who never seems on time though I have to hurry to be there not a minute late, or rituals like funerals in churches where I tire of counting lights, icons and bald heads.

Life is good. I need to find a way to stop wishing it away; there is not that much time left!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

its interesting that you write something to this extent. And for me, even though many would say that i am too young to possess such thoughts, at times I too find myself caught in that trap of "wishing time away". At times like sitting at work looking out the window and thinking of how i am wasting my time, that i could be out enjoying the weather, listening to nature, or enjoying the company of friends.... but instead i am sitting in a room with central air conditioning, no way to open the windows, isolated from my friends and nature, and trapped at a desk until the clock strikes that time for me to leave and head home.

I feel that even at a young age, or especially at a young age, it is easier for one to get trapped in "wishing time away" since you may feel you have so much time ahead of you. It is like a millionaire at the store.

The only difference is that as time passes we can not accumulate more time, we only lose it (where that millionaire will in most cases gain more wealth).

Society today I feel encourages the "wishing of time away" as we all have duties that we "must" perform or tasks me "must" complete and these are many times not in line with the activities and things that we would rather be doing.

I personally want to try to focus on living life rather than surfing through it... however it is difficult in our society to achieve both a highly successful career and also completely enjoy life to its fullest... at least not at the same point in your lifeline.


(I was PSC-Test, i forgot i had it set for a test i ran months ago, so I re-submitted under my name)

Yiayia said...

Sean-William...right on! I had forgotten that point completely...that when young you forget it is still time wasted though it seems less important since you think you have so much left!