Monday, November 26, 2007

SULFITES AND NITRITES

sulfites:[SUHL-fites] The salts of sulfurous acid, which may be used in food processing for any of various reasons, including the deterrence of insects and diseases, inhibiting bacterial growth and preventing spoilage or oxidation. Sulfites, which may be added as a preservative to packaged and processed foods, can cause severe allergic reactions (such as hives, shortness of breath and even anaphylactic shock) in certain individuals. For that reason, in 1986 the Food and Drug Administration prohibited their use on "fresh fruits and vegetables intended to be sold or served raw to consumers." In the United States, the words "Contains Sulfites" (or similar verbiage) are mandatory on labels of foods that include sulfites.

From Barrons Wine Loving Companion: sulfites; sulfiting [SUHL-fites] Sulfites, the salts of sulfurous acid, have been used to preserve food and drink for eons. Today sulfites can be found in everything from beer to cookies to pickles. All but a tiny fraction of wines made today contain sulfites, small amounts of which are a natural by-product of fermentation. Additionally, winemakers around the world prevent spoilage and oxidation by adding controlled amounts of sulfur dioxide in a process called sulfiting. In the United States, the words "Contains Sulfites" are mandatory on wine labels if the wine contains 10 ppm (parts per million) or more of sulfites. The upper limit is 350 ppm, but most wines contain less than 150 ppm. Sulfites can cause allergic reactions in certain sulfite-sensitive individuals.

A former wine drinker, I have had difficulty making people comprehend that I am not a teetotaler when I refuse wine or beer, until I drink Scotch or Vodka. Then they probably think I don't know what I am doing in refusing even the 'sulfite-free' wine offered. One need only have hives once to realize the agony of feeling like you are walking through a swamp on a hot day at dawn. You are ready to scratch off any part of your body that has a slight itch.

ni·trite ('trīt') n. The univalent radical NO2 or a compound containing it, such as a salt or an ester of nitrous acid. ni·trate ('trāt', -trĭt) n. The univalent radical NO3 or a compound containing it, as a salt or an ester of nitric acid. Fertilizer consisting of sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate. Learn more about nitrates .

When you are sensitive to MSG, sulfites and nitrites or nitrates it takes more than just a lot of fun out of life. (to be continued)






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Yiayia,

Recently I have been diagnosed with a food allergy. I started to develop what looked like hickies on the lower part of my legs. I went to my MD and they took a full panel blood test and found nothing. I was relieved with that finding but it made it more maddening because the patches on my legs just kept getting bigger. The doctor recommended I make an appointment with a dermatologist. I went to a homeopathic doctor for a second opinion, who suggested I may have a parasite from eating fish. So I took Wormwood for 2 weeks- off for 2- and back on for 2. The patches, which I now referred to as a rash, were still there and thriving. It wasn't all that irritating if I left it alone but if I shaved my legs or accidentally rubbed it, I would know they were there. So, I made the appointment with the dermatologist. As it turned out he diagnosed me with having a "food allergy". He advised me to keep a food diary and to pay attention to frozen foods and wine. Wine being my drink of choice, I am still in denial. He said there was no test to point out exactly what I am allergic to, but I was responsible for the process of elimination. The one thing they all have in common is "nitrites and sulfite's". There is limited information about the side affects of the allergy. Thank you for sharing. Bambi

Yiayia said...

Dear Anonymous when I first started getting raised welts on my arms, etc., I was given a psychiatric diagnosis of dermography. This simply meant that my skin was especially sensitive to pressure. After 25 years of this, a secretary of mine told me that since I also had so many headaches and stomach aches (which all of my physical exams said were nothing) the nurse in the allergists office said I was sensitive to histamines and a few other minor things but that they didn't have tests for allergies to additives in food. I even did the elimination diet which showed no problems, much later on.

It took many years to find what causes my hives and headaches, etc. I have found searching the Internet the most useful tool to date and realize that you need to check out all additives as they are in code, such as autolyzed yeast (which is MSG, in truth). If I have made you, or only you, aware of something that might alleviate your discomfort, then I will consider this blog worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.buylongchampbags1.com]longchamp outlet[/url]
[url=http://www.buylongchampbags1.com]longchamp bags[/url]
[url=http://www.buylongchampbags1.com]longchamp uk[/url]
[url=http://www.cheaptoms-online.com]cheap toms[/url]
[url=http://www.the-beatsbydre.com]monster beats[/url]
[url=http://www.the-beatsbydre.com]beats by dre[/url]
[url=http://www.the-beatsbydre.com]dre by beats[/url]
[url=http://www.bluejeans-shop.com]blue jeans[/url]

Anonymous said...

International need for Hawaiian ugg boot as well as ugg fashion sheepskin footwear started out as a [url=http://www.bootsall.co.uk/]ugg boots outlet[/url]manner statement inside the late 1990's, leading to folks around the globe to adhere to match. Nonetheless as increasing numbers of males, women and youngsters acquired accustomed to the warmth and luxury of sheepskin made of woll-layered boot styles, bought these http://www.bootssea.co.uk/ regarding friends, and sought out subsequent and 3 rd sets on their own, the buzz along with need for these kinds of original traditional Hawaiian ugg favourites types offers cheap uggsinto the competitive global industry it is nowadays.