Thursday, December 13, 2007

DOWNLOADING AND GETTING A PROGRAM TO WORK

Four months ago I bought a $50 program to back up my computer. It has an excellent reputation so I decided, after I had downloaded the demo (which was all that was available at first look) that I would pay for the full, legal download. I waited for my registration code to arrive, which didn't for a few days, got very busy, diverted and forgot all about it. A few weeks later, the issue of using that program reared as i thought , "I have no backup!" I searched my computer for a trace of the registration code. Nothing was found. All I could get was that my 15 day trial had expired.

Now comes the fun part. On the site, all I could get to, at first, was not useful until I located the live chat with a robot or service representative. "Anthony" told me, after checking that I had indeed paid for the program, that I should download the full program and 'he' would send my the registration code by email. He did that and, since it landed in my junk mail because it clearly came from a commercial sender, I realized that is what had probably happened the first time it was sent, as well. That explained why I had not received the code in the first place.

Next I searched everywhere as to how to download the full program and all I could get was that my 15 day trial had ended but I could buy the program, should I choose. Since I had already paid, I was tired of chasing my tail and annoyed. Not new to computers, I went to the Control panel (I use MS and XP) and deleted all the versions of my attempted downloads of the demo...of which there were several. Nevertheless, I still could not find how to get a full download since all I could get was a free demo which told me that my 15 days had expired!

Once again, a live chat with 'Anthony' told me I needed to go to 'My Account' (look up program password on the three page of passwords I have) to get the full download. I did this on my clean slate, having deleted the demos, and I now had the download which I registered with the code from the email, after I had installed the program. Bruised and battered, I was beginning to feel I was half way home. However, after the installation, I tried to create a boot disk, in the event that my computer blew and I needed a backup to get my system back. At this point I was asked to enter a command line. I searched as long as my aching head would permit me (it ached from figuratively banging it on the wall) and instructions were contained no where in the help menu or any other place or subjects I searched. A friend with whom I consulted (actually to whom I ranted in frustration) told me he found something in Appendix D of the help manual online). My ADD and simple logic prevents me from going to the Appendices when I can't get beyond Getting Started! I can't read the ending of a book before reading all the chapters first, either,

Here is where I got stuck:
Now, while I am not new to computers, I do not find this 'intuitive' and resent that manuals so frequently forget that many people need explanations that may seem pretty simple to the manual writer.

I can see that I need to tackle that 'Live Chat' once again. I have already spent more than three hours in total on this problem and think that one should not have to waste so much time, when you have paid for a program, trying to learn how to run it.

No comments: