Friday, February 22, 2008

THE SNOWSTORM

The world continues to harp on political trivia. Was Hillary sincere? Was she being unfair to Obama? The debate was a tie but Obama was clearly the winner because he wasn't the loser. Someone sees a silver lining, another sees a miracle on the horizon. Other talking heads say the debate was a 'ho-hum', just not interesting. Of course not, it wasn't meant to be entertainment! Will the media never learn how dispensable they all are? How does a shut in spend the day and fill the air space when TV is unwatchable and infuriating?

Near mid-day it was clear there was no joy in Mudville. I decided to shovel the snow (phase one) to get the fallen two inches cleared from the walks and parking areas even though it was still snowing. The hope was to get out there before someone trampled the snow down with icy footsteps that instantly freeze in place and can't get shoveled up. Not a lucky day. Mail had already been delivered. No doubt the mail-person had the same idea...get it over with before the snow gets too high. The snow continued and by late afternoon another four inches had fallen.

I raced out to shovel again, before my grandson arrived to park a friend's car in my yard, off the street in front of his apartment, to prevent the car being towed. This time I thought I was forewarned, but hadn't predicted a UPS delivery man had trodden on the walk. Oh well, I muttered in resignation, and scraped as much as possible before anyone else arrived to crunch icy lumps on the walk.

Back indoors again, in the warmth, I began to watch some of the movies I had recorded on my computer so that I could then delete and make space for more of them. This was interrupted by an hour long phone call from a friend, as the computer in front of me blinked weather alerts for my town. By 11 PM, the computer had ceased giving weather alerts, so I looked out and saw some fluffy clouds on the horizon (bright moonlight), All precipitation had ceased. Yet it was too early to cheer. Back to the computer for the latest update, more precipitation was predicted until tomorrow afternoon at which time the sun will magically appear. The icicles hanging off the front bow window, dripping water as though it was below freezing out, mayl have a new outlook on life by morning.

The nice part of the day is that it was so guilt-free. It is such a reward to be a prisoner at home (my favorite place to be in the whole world) and while I didn't get any of the things done that are required, I did all the things that relaxed me. It felt like the kid I once had been whose school day had just been called off because of bad weather. Sadly, I didn't have my siblings there to make tunnels with blankets over the dining room chairs laid on their sides. Of course, that would have been at least the day before yesterday, plus a few decades.

No comments: