Saturday, March 8, 2008

COLLATERAL MISINFORMATION

When someone alters a [Wikipedia] article to win a specific argument, anyone who reads the false article before the "error" is corrected suffers from collateral misinformation, as in: "I changed the scientific classification of red foxes last night in order to win an argument with Judy. I hope some stupid High School student didn't suffer from collateral misinformation."

Collateral misinformation is much of what we have heard by the current Administration since George Bush's handlers got him to campaign to become President. Is it no wonder middle class people in the US have been confused, confounded, disappointed, impoverished, misled, apathetic, while watching the rich get richer, their sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, friends, etc get maimed or killed in the longest war that should never have been. These losses seem to be accepted as collateral damage resulting from the collateral misinformation.

An Opinion Research Business survey shows that as of 8/07, there were 1, 033,000 violent deaths in Iraq. On February 1, 2008, an article appeared in a blog by an Iraqi whose profile reads:
khalid jarrar
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

I am pro God, I am pro life, I am pro humanity, I am pro truth, and when the American government chooses to be against all that then damn it: i AM anti American-government.

Some of you may wish to read some other of his blog entries.

Using Google you might want to research some significant statistics. There are currently an estimated 4.5 million orphans and only less than a thousand under government care. I t has been written about before, the conjectures about the psychological damage to these children and what they will grow up to have to survive on their own with little knowledge of the world. Is lack of information any worse than collateral misinformation? It is not an either/or choice but an interesting question?

It intrigues me to think that there must be many other sources of collateral misinformation. I believe the distortions that arise on the media must be a form of the same. Perhaps some of you, my readers, will come up with other examples? I certainly hope so. I do a lot of talking to myself when the comments slow down.




No comments: