Tuesday, March 25, 2008

USE OF THE INTERNET

Earlier today I wondered how people use the Internet differently. A few friends and I agreed that people use it to stay in touch with the world, family, friends, current events, current technology, hobbies, history, learning, and too numerous uses to mention. When I went to trusty Google with the question, "How do people use the Internet?" At the top of the results was a Pew Internet Typology Test which I took. I learned that I am a Connector. 8% of the population uses the computer more and are called Omnivores. The median age of Connectors is 38. That made me chuckle because my age will skew that figure some!

Of the eight IT devices asked about, I have five. 86% of my group has broadband internet at home. Take the test and do make life easier for the research people who want to shove us all into little boxes of stored data. Like the soldiers who served and died in Iraq, we can be lumped collectively as IT users, secondly in categories in which we may not be identical to others in the category but we will share many elements in common with others in it.

No comments: