Sunday, April 20, 2008

INVASION OF COMPUTERS

What is it that makes companies think they can drop tracking cookies on your computer without your permission? Where is the FCC? Where are the people who are supposed to be watching this stuff and protecting our right, as citizens, to privacy in our homes? Where are the people who started the Internet with the goal of keeping it free?

A week ago I cleaned my computer thoroughly of all unwanted stuff. Today I ran an AVG scan and it turned up 183 tracking programs and tracking cookies that count what I have looked at and where I have gone on the Internet and then report to their home base. How am I to benefit from this? Presumably they will still want what I had looked at and see that I am deluged with ads from services and products I want. I makes me wonder why it is thought to benefit me. When I want something from the Internet I go to Google and look until I find what I want. If I have already purchased it, will these spies know that I no longer want it or will I get ads for the type of product I have already bought?

Is spying on people what has replaced using a marketing brain? Is there something wrong with asking people directly what they want? Why doesn't someone build a website actually be superfluous since a person can find almost anything within a few minutes from Google and/or other search engines already, though it would certainly be more ethical than what we have now.

No comments: