Saturday, June 21, 2008

DOG-SITTER FOR A DAY

All who know me have heard (too often) that I do not want to live with animals, human or otherwise. I was raised on a farm where animals live outside or in the barn. Today I spent the day dog-sitting for my granddaughter's new dog. She has a 3 year old Rottweiler/Bassett hound combo. We assumed there was not another of that combination anywhere, but were wrong. Apparently dog lightning does strike twice. Buddy Dog advertised a rescue dog from Puerto Rico who was that combination and had no choice but to give him to a couple that already has a twin.

Lexie (nee Genesis) is almost half Rocco's size and had just been spayed so, though he was knickered, he still ties to do what male dogs do to little girl dogs. Buddy Dog Humane Society staff said they would have to be kept apart for a few days until her tummy was closer to being healed. Judging from the way she dragged me around today at the other end of her leash, I think she is doing just fine at healing...much better than heeling, I would say.

As a rescued dog, she handles her having been abandoned by getting to the door before anyone headed in that direction can reach it. She bonded to me instantly (and to any of the many others who came into the house) and when we were alone, she stayed velcroed to my side or by my feet. I gave up trying to accomplish anything for the day, realizing how useless an attempt would be, and learned how lonely people can learn to love their dogs. I felt like hard-hearted Hannah because I knew I would not have her for long...but, then again, I am not lonely. Though I will cheer when she is no longer in my house, I could never be cruel to such a loving little beast.

I did not relish the leap she made from my bedroom door into the middle of my bed at 6:40 AM! I still ache from being dragged back from our walk up a hill as she kept her nose to the ground, acting much like a vacuum cleaner for the entire walk. I'm assuming Nature provided her with a good nose filter.

Having been passed over at birth for the gene which would have allowed me to tolerate the smell of a dog , being licked and kissed by a dog, or having one that can't read the sign that says, "If you don't pay rent you can't live here." I am looking forward to the day when I no longer feel like a kennel operator and can revert to my efforts at just tolerating all humans who come my way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like doggy smells, either. When Buffy, my Yorkie, begins to smell "doggish", I know it's time for her bath.

Julie Q said...

I think you should watch the movie "As Good As it Gets" with Jack Nicholson while Lexie is still at your house :)

Yiayia said...

Lexie just used my bathroom.....floor (-er rug wall-to-wall), that is. She is hanging her head in shame at the moment. I've forgotten the movie though I saw it once quite a while ago.