Thursday, June 19, 2008

MEANDERING THOUGHTS

My friends, to my thinking, used to live X number of minutes or hours away. Now I measure the distance in gallons of gas. One friend I visited is a gallon away, another a third of a gallon!

Forty years ago, a bag of groceries, which included meat and the usual food cross section, was $5 a bag. Today I can’t imagine being able to fill any grocery bag with anything that would add to no more than $5.

It amuses me to get an email that totals ounces of many products, sold in much smaller quantity, to the gallon price and then tries to make the point that gas is cheap! That rationalization is worthy of Rove-Cheney-Bush …., but then again, the commonality of their being liquids make them one and the same, does it not????

Logic (or lack of it) of this administration...career CIA agents, if female, are dispensable if their husbands are ready to point out our lies; lawyers appointed to Federal service can be replaced by lawyers who will seek outcomes only as we want to them; Iraqi translators who are gay should be fired, even if we have no heterosexual translators with which to replace them; people we don't like can be tortured or detained at our will.

My thoughts have meandered to a depressing place. I think I should hibernate until November so that I can cast my ballot for 'change'!

No comments: