Saturday, September 13, 2008

TOOTH IMPLANT IS A PIECE OF CAKE

When I mention having recently had a tooth implant started, I get sympathetic groans. It surprises me. I found mine a rather pleasant experience.

The initial prepping was holding some mint-flavored, chlorhexidine oral rinse in my mouth for 60 seconds. The worst of that was that I couldn't speak for that full minute, which those in the room appreciated far more than I. I was sterilized around my mouth and face and covered over my neck, chest and arms. I had opted for local anesthesia. Getting general anesthesia at my age does not do good things to one's brain. Numbing my jaw was simple and painless, unless you consider a mosquito bite as excruciatingly painful. We told jokes while waiting for my jaw to numb. Immediately I got an itch beside my nose and went to scratch it but quickly told I must not touch my face. Apparently the nurses are ready with a tissue to take away itches as they are identified, which put a stop to that Murphy's Law.

The two nurses and the doctor were three of the most pleasant people I could possibly have encountered. We told jokes while waiting for my jaw to numb. Then the roots of the last tenant in that spot of my jaw were eased out. I might mention that my oral surgeon used to be a pro-football player. It makes the task of extraction more simple when strong hands are working to release roots broken off at the gum line. Then I got the sound of the saw mill. The hole in my jaw, which was to receive the implant post, was drilled. The excess bone was made into a slurry and packed around the post to anchor it as the bone pieces would begin to knit. Stitches were applied to the pulled gum, covering the hole. Feeling great, I drove home to put ice packs on every 15 minutes. As the Novocaine wore off, I knew something had happened in my mouth but never experienced any significant pain. I liked the cold packs because it was a very hot day but really didn't require them for pain or swelling. Swelling was quite slight.

I continued to follow instructions to use the mouthwash given , twice a day for 30 seconds and an anti-biotic, four times a day. While I had a prescription for a pain killer, it was never needed. One week later the stitches were removed. The pain was no different than when I have stuck my finger with a needle while sewing. I was pronounced as doing very well, healing well, and told to come back for an x-ray in two months.

For any of you who may be facing an implant, have no fear. The worst is the fear itself.

No comments: