Thursday, October 16, 2008

20 DAYS TO VOTING DAY


While anticipating the last debate between McCain and Obama, I had a strange deja vu feeling. It was McCain giving the fish for a day (use government funds to pay the individual mortgages rather than continue to have homes foreclosed) versus Obama teaching people to fish (infusing banks and working on getting small businesses started so that more jobs would be created and having credit available to jump start the economy).

The last debate between the two Presidential candidates came and went and the sky didn't fall, no great lines were heard...in fact I really heard nothing new, though I suffered,bored, through all ninety minutes. Obama behaved more like a President should and tried to answer the questions asked, though time was wasted as he had to answer the lies McCain was continuing to tell about him. McCain repeated all the promises and misinformation from all the negative ads, praised Palin and genuinely answered that he thought she would make a great president( in not those same words). What he said was, "I am proud of her." I can't imagine Obama saying. "I'm proud of Biden" in those words, though he said he felt Biden would be a good president if something should happen to Obama. He was the realist throughout as McCain continued to tell us he knew how to solve all the problems of the world, essentially, he just never got around to saying how he would do it. It saddens me that McCain gives so much and I just keep wanting more, like explanations as to how he has such wonderful ideas and is only mentioning that he can capture Obama, solve the economic crisis, help the middle class and small businesses, and save family health care with a $5000 rebate (which will run out before the year is up for many) and says nothing about what will happen next year.

McCain looks worse than ever. It is clear that he is struggling to speak clearly as the lump on his cheek must feel as though his mouth if full of acorns to be stored for the winter. Not wishing to be impolite and point to his disabilities, I have to remind myself I am not criticizing a piece of art, I am expressing my terror that the candidate in question may not survive 4 years of Presidency.

The pundits, (stupid to the nth degree, spelled inside out) did the ridiculous and far-fetched pros and cons, depending on their leanings. They should be writers for fantasy though they might not be as funny. The general consensus on most critics whom I followed suggested that Obama was far the winner and also looked more Presidential. I agree with this finding from my viewing and felt ashamed that the world was seeing the pitiful ticket of the GOPs

The sound bite of the night came from Bob Shieffer's mother: "Go Vote Now--it will make you feel big and strong."

No comments: