Sunday, October 19, 2008

GETTING READY FOR THE APOCALYPSE

The prediction allows for a bit less than four more years before we all go to oblivion, if one believes that is what the Apocalypse, as predicted, will be. It should actually be a relief because we will none of us have to go through a long, painful illness and will likely not know what hit us. We do not have to plan for our heirs because there will be none.

The thought of it is not unpleasant to me as I have always refused to worry about things over which I have no control. However, the thought has offered me yet another opportunity to evaluate my life and lifestyle. Having always been aware of the necessity to plan for future needs, I have been relatively frugal in my expenditures (though there are those who might argue the point; they being those that spend on at least one expensive vacation a year while I prefer to take that large sum and spend it on what will make me happy 365 days of the year).

It is unfathomable how the thought of oblivion can be frightening to anyone. As I have written before, it is not the thought of death that has ever made me uneasy...it is the thought of a painful, helpless process of dying that is noxious. However, after hearing that the Bible predicted that we would be controlled by the Chinese by now (though we are currently dangerously close to that prediction) it has not happened through threat of war and conquer. Being of a similar mind with Bill Maher who refuses to regard the sayings of people who believe in talking snakes, I see no way to prepare for the ultimate.

If I could count on the Apocalypse, for sure, being 2012, I would spend everything I have and live in relative luxury for the next three years. However, since there is no guarantee, I have to be cognizant of the longevity in my family (my father lived to be 107 1/2). I need to spread out what I've got to hold me through the long depression facing us. Oblivion will not let me regret that I died with money in the bank. Nor will it allow me to be sad over all the 'stuff' I had accumulated through the years, sentimental, artistic and some made by my own hands ,things handed down over generations, and all else that we material-minded hang onto.

Someday, beings from another world may find that there had once been life on the planet earth. Their archeologists will dig us up with what ever shards are left of our belongings and cluck over the primitive race we had been. Is there a master plan? Is there really a God behind all this. We will likely never know. Perhaps there will be nothing to dig up and they will hunt as we hunt for the lost continent of Atlantis...forever a mystery. If there was ever anything to make one feel insignificant, this is it!

No comments: