Friday, November 14, 2008

AWAY FROM HOME

I'm in a relative's house, disorienting. Visiting my sister, where I have not been for about five years, I am suffering instant withdrawal pangs from everything that I tried to put my hand on without thinking. Fortunately her house is equipped with an unsecured wireless connection...good for me but not good for her if the neighbors catch on to free Internet.

So I sit here with my VISTA laptop, which I detest and rarely use, as I wonder how others feel in my situation. Do they want to be in a place where every sound is unfamiliar? Do they want to spend an evening trying to have an adult conversation over the amazing degree of distraction an extremely bright 8 year old in the age appropriate phase of, "Look at me, everyone, all the time, look at me." exudes? Anyone who has had children or grandchildren will recall the phase. His mother was excellent with him but the interruptions to conversations were for her, thus all of us, unending.

It took no time at all to learn that there shall be no discussion of politics. Opinions are fixed (or broken, depending on who is defining. Actually, the verbal dance soon began to figure what was not offensive to her S.O. since I am not known for keeping my ideas and opinions to myself.

After a night's sleep (I hope) I'll know better when to have my mouth open or shut. One good thing abut visiting is that it is like a TV preview because nothing is watched in this house that has appeared on my screens.

No comments: