Monday, March 30, 2009

DREAMWORKS: MONSTERS VS ALIENS

While I repeat myself, movies that entertain, have happy endings and make me feel good are the only ones I find are not a waste of my time. Consequently, Dreamworks and Pixar are real favorites when they push their imaginations as they do. Fortunately I have family members who have seen things I have not and can fill me in on the amusing take-offs from other movies. This film is apparently full of them. Even though I missed those at the time, I thoroughly enjoyed the beauty of creativity and wild ideas. These people really thought outside the box.

While it may not meet the needs of intellectuals like Science Fiction so frequently does, it makes fun of so many things. Stephen Colbert is the voice of the President of the Unites States. Reese Witherspoon is the voice of Susan, what one might call the heroine. One of the monsters, a PhD scientist who has become, or always was, a cockroach of enormous proportions for his species, delightfully voiced by Hugh Laurie (Dr. House).

Interestingly, while people are suffering economically, the 3D version was sold out, all 272 seats! Families brought their little ones and not a peep was heard during the movie from any of them that distracted. Speaking with the 20-ish couple beside me, they were unbelieving when I told them they had 3D movies in the 50s. Granted the technology was different then, but the feeling that you were having something thrown at you felt the same.

For those who liked the misery portrayed in the films chosen for the Oscars, I say, "To each his own." I will never see any of them no matter how well written or beautifully acted they are. I see life all around me in its heartaches, suffering, hardships, and cruelty that man inflicts on man, so to speak. It would offend me to pay for the privilege to wallow in more. If only Hollywood could see that people need relief, not the mind dump of some great writer and director's idea of the most emotionally draining reality movie of the year.

No comments: