Thursday, July 16, 2009

EVERYWHERE YOU GO SOMEONE WANTS MORE OF YOUR MONEY

It used to be possible to dial 411 and get a phone number without charge. Then it seemed that people who were too lazy to use the book were caught onto so over a certain number requests in a month, the user received an additional fee on their bill. Seniors seemed exempt. Long distance information service was also free.

The other day, a friend asked how to look up a phone number for free on the Internet. I suggested 411.com or Yellow Pages. Since I rarely call people for whom I don't already have a number, the world seemed to have changed without my noticing. Do all these services now require money...and not just a little, but a lot?

Choosing to check this finding out with another name, I had no problem getting 411 and Yellow Pages to give me complete address, zip, and phone number of an acquaintance in CA. That left me totally confused as to what it was about the name given me to look up by my friend, so I again checked his with the same results.

People search lists itself as a free service. It finds the person, tells the age, and lists the people who share the residence but if you want an address or phone number, you will be charged. If anyone has URLs that still look up names, phone numbers or addresses, please comment.

No comments: