Saturday, August 1, 2009

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR TASTE

Netflix Competitors Learn the Power of Teamwork
By STEVE LOHR Published: July 27, 2009

"A contest set up by Netflix, which offered a $1 million prize to anyone who could significantly improve its movie recommendation system, ended on Sunday with two teams in a virtual dead heat, and no winner to be declared until September. “The Netflix prize contest will be looked at for years by people studying how to do predictive modeling,” said Chris Volinsky, a scientist at AT&T Research and a leader of one of the two highest-ranked teams in the competition."

Be sure to listen the the video component of the article."

It puts me in awe of technology but unimpressed some research outcomes. When someone asks me what is my favorite drink, an assumption has to have been made that I have one. Fickle I, do not have a favorite as my taste is constantly on the move, depending on time of day, effect I want from the alcohol, what is available, what taste I have at the time, etc. My taste in music is similarly dictated. I like most genres but the selection must be of superb quality and musicianship

Then I wonder what an algorithm produces when it gets just a snapshot of everyone at a given time. By the law of averages, do we even out?

No comments: