Thursday, August 27, 2009

AXOLOTL BECOMING EXTINCT


Having been born before the era of planned obsolescence, I hate to see anything go and never ever be able to have it brought back...even the little axolotl, which I learned today (though I have never seen one) and learned, sadly, I may never get to because they are becoming something Nature has given up on....or was that mankind that did it? I must be the only person on the planet earth who has not seen an axolotl!

To think that I may not have another opportunity. YouTube makes it looks like they will be extinct though everyone is putting them in their fish tanks. It is not clear to me why people plant rare flowers in their yards when the conditions for their survival are lacking, or why people must capture fish and put them in little tanks for their own private showings. However, zoos may save some animals from becoming extinct, and fish tank enthusiasts may do the same for the axolotl.

Matt Walker, editor of Earth News says it is "The amphibian that never grew up is on the verge of going extinct in the wild."

Since they have the ability to re-grow lost limbs and tails and re-generate dead or damaged brain and heart cells, it might be worth while to keep them around and let scientists probe their physical competences.

No comments: