Thursday, August 20, 2009

IN SEARCH OF SILENCE

Today I happened to tune into WBUR's Here and Now. "Author Anne LeClaire has been spending the first and third Monday of each month in silence, as a practice in meditation. We speak with her about her new book “Listening Below the Noise: A Meditation on the Practice of Silence.”

Actually, her two day a month silences have gone on for 16 years. She now teaches how to do it. Dentists have always commented on what a small mouth I have. Friends and relatives comment on what a 'big mouth' I have. Silence has never been my strong suit until recently, both from within and without. I am a multitasker and usually have all my senses engaged at the same time as I have rushed through life. Now that my life is nearing the end of the tunnel, the rush has slowed down. I already see the light. Since I believe that death is total oblivion, that you just cease to exist, I have no illusions about my death being important to many for long or that the world will have lost some irreplaceable talent. There always seems to be new talent and new innovations, people live with amazing creativity that far surpass anyone who previously existed.

Recently, awakening in the morning no longer finds my hand pushing the radio on before I arise. I recognize exactly what Ms. LeClaire points out. In fact, however, there never is silence because your thoughts will always be in your head and outside noises unless you are in solitary, soundproofed confinement. My head seems to speak my thoughts. It plays music I have recently heard. Conversations I have had play like a tape. Conversations I am going to have, play like a tape. I hear all the outside sounds, I hear all the house sounds. The ice maker pours water after it has dropped cubes into the tray. Birds sing and call. In fact, it is really amazing to try to find complete silence even from the outside, let alone in your head.

Perhaps if I could stay still long enough to meditate I could learn to shut those sounds out but there has to be some motivation to do that and I have none. I like sound. I have just learned to be far more selective about it coming into my head.
Simon and Garfunkel seemed to understand it.

No comments: