Friday, September 18, 2009

VACATION ON HATTERAS ISLAND

For the first time in 10 years, I'm on vacation for more than three days. The drive to final destination let me use my new GPS. A passenger in my car knew the routes with the fewest light and the shortest times, etc...having taken them for many years, so my Garmin lady dis a lot of talking but much of it just said, "Recalculating"

After gingerly feeling around what was available (I don't play golf) I discovered the ecstasy of what is called a Hot Tub here. It had been known around our parts as a whirlpool, but whatever you call it, it is like the old motel 'magic fingers' you put a quarter in and got a few minutes of wonderful vibration to warm you, massage you...or assist your partner with mutual massage. :P

Water in this hot tub is limited to a high of 104 degrees. There are six jets and a bench to sit on (which if you are as short as I am) puts the water level at your neck bottom. It is effortless, soothing, relaxing, and beats many nice activities I have known for matching the peaces of my body to the peace of my mind.

Two days ago we were told that the sea was the calmest seen in 35 years by them. Today, driving south along the east coast, there were flags waving every few yards saying 'no swimming'. Apparently the waves were so high, some of them at least six feet making the water look white instead of its usual deep blue. If you were caught swimming (and alive, you were rewarded with a $250 fine, if caught!). I guess the undertow is not where you want to get caught!

We saw Roanoke Island where Sir Walter Raleigh landed and the whole community was lost. It is where the first English child was born in America, 1587, a girl named Virginia Dare. Who would have guessed Virginia was real and not a wine!

No comments: