Friday, October 30, 2009

ANOTHER ADJUSTMENT TO CHANGE

As I age I get less limber. Elsewhere, I envied the attachments on toilet seats which lift the user by two inches. Those two inches make it easier to hoist my ample butt off the seat to a standing position. So, figuring that I will sooner (probably more so than later) find one of those attachments desirable, if not necessary, I took advantage of a closing sale, bought a toilet 2" higher than normal, thus eschewing the add-on.

Satisfied, until I visited public or friends' toilets, their seats are lower than where my brain tells me I should have made contact. It triggers an "I'm falling and I can't get up." fear so as I keep lowering the sitting part of my anatomy. I pass a stopping point; my body goes into 'free fall' until contact is made with some surface, guessing wrongly that is to be the floor.

Quite another experience happens in restaurant booths. They all seem to be made for very tall, slim people. Too wide for a booster seat or high chair, I eat with my chin barely above my dish. This works well, though it puts my face dangerously near my food. It does, though, minimize the many meals I have worn on my chest.

Having lost almost three inches of height in the past few years, I've toyed with learning to walk with stilts. Instead, a library stool in my kitchen, several smaller stools in other rooms as well as step ladders on each floor, compensate Oddly it is easier to reach up than to get things off the floor or from under furniture. Following a law of physics, "What goes up must come down", the opposite is not true. What goes down does not always come up...at least not easily.

No comments: