Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

It is possible only to give thanks for the turkeys of the feathered kind in our lives...not the rest who glut the airwaves and media, those teabaggers and birthers, the ones who decided what God has intended by a guess that is as accurate (perhaps) as that made by the rest of us who make no guess about what God intended but, rather, live morally, with integrity, and by the Golden Rule.

We seniors can give thanks to waking up every day. We are able to guess the weather by the amount of creak in our joints, and are, thankfully, able to recognize who and where we are. If the pains are less than the pleasures in our lives, we count ourselves very fortunate to be alive, have good health 'for our age', and enjoy friendship with people who return the pleasure of our being together.

I particularly give thanks to the many who promised to keep me in laughter when my husband was dying...now nine years ago. They have done a wonderful job at making sure I get my laughs daily. Not only do they share laughter with me but I am then able to share it with others. Some people call this a positive outlook on life...I think it is far more enjoyable to love and laugh than to frown, criticize, and be miserable.

My thankfulness extends to others who, being aware that having made large family parties on Holidays for much of my life, feel it is now someone else's turn.

If you wish to thank a God, do so, but I do think our hard work, being caring of others, and hurting no one has to account for some of that for which we can be thankful.

No comments: