Monday, December 7, 2009

GOLDEN AGE: WHEN THE ANGST OF FUTURE IS BEHIND YOU.

When you are born, your entire future is ahead of you. However, though you may lay a foundation for your future through childhood and adolescence, it is only when you are career planning, job hunting after 'finding yourself' and hunting a life partner, that the pressure of choice determines much of your future.

One of the nice things of old age is that those are not usually choices any longer so one might say your future is behind you at least in a planning sense. The future in old age is 'getting really old' or 'death'. For those who think there is life (as we know) it after death, I suppose it may be felt as their future...but I do not consider it mine. At that point, I see my future as oblivion and if I live to a ripe old age with my brain functioning like a slow CPU and all my senses at least limping along, I will consider that a great future from where I am today. That future that is now behind me turned out pretty well. I'm happy to face 'going forward' and reliving the future behind me in memories.

No comments: