Monday, May 31, 2010

A WEEKEND AWAY

A weekend away used to be simple procedure, just pack and go, but alas, now simplicity is only another memory.  First, the cell phone, toothbrush, camera, and iTouch need charging.  Fill gas tank.  The plants (expanding exponentially yearly) must be watered; that usually takes a bit more than an hour..  What toys do I need to bring besides something to read (I don't sleep as long as my hosts)?   Pack clothes for every season or weather possibility, this being New England where the weather differs every few yards  Next, the GPS updated and enough vitamin pills to sustain a small army crawling on its stomach for three days, as well as something to make sure peristalsis is revved and kept working. 

Make sure hair and body are shampooed and showered.  One should always arrive at friends' destinations smelling like 2010, not 1810.  That requires bottles, jars and stuff to keep it that way for three days plus all the unmentionables.  

House gifts have always been a puzzle for me.  What to people who have everything they need?  I am culturally forced by my dead mother's voice in my head never to go anywhere empty-handed?. Consumables are my choice...that way if my hosts don't want them, I will never see them again when next I visit.  By the time I am off, I can only think that in only three days, I will have to do all this in reverse.  Only love for old and dear friends moves me out of my usual cocoon at home.




No comments: