Monday, June 7, 2010

WHEN STORMS KNOCK THE POWER OUT

As news of tornadoes in Michigan and other world disasters were going on, random luck saw this area in a severe thunderstorm.  In the middle of a Sunday afternoon of suffocating heat and humidity for this area,  suddenly all electrical power was lost .The storm swallowed all daylight.  Lit candles can make one feel that learning braille isn't necessary at the moment, but it has little other value.  I can't read by it.

Never having for a moment forgotten how necessary the TV and Internet are to me, I immediately wondered what I did in the old days (BC-before computers).  Working on hooking rugs, knitting afghans, embroidering and all that lovely 19th C ladies stuff just didn't cut it any more.  Reading would have worked but the light was not adequate.  I played the piano for a bit then realized I was hungry.  Not knowing how long the power would be out, I hesitated opening the freezer or refrigerator doors.  Fortunately, I made do with gas for power.  This meant no microwave but it allowed me to steam vegetables and have some crackers (which don't require preparation).


Since I had seen This week in the morning and turned away screaming as I was powerless to stuff a sock in Liz Cheney's mouth, I waited for Meet the Press, only to find that Tennis Matches were on instead.  I picked up a book and read until the sky darkened, hopefully Noah had finished preparing the ark,  then the lights went out.  Sitting in the dark and feeling adventurous, I took a nap for a couple of hours hoping the power would be restored by the time I awakened and my adventure fantasies would pass..  No luck.

I hunted out all the candles people have given me for Christmases, lit a bunch, and the house began to smell as sickeningly sweet as those candle shops selling scented candles.A hurricane lamp had been unused for so long, the wick thickened until it was emulating a tar ball.  I could not thread it high enough to light.

There is a shelf full of flashlighst.  One would think I had a fetish if they saw the lot, but they are there because I can say. "Let there be light." as often as I want but without bulbs and batteries and wicks, it is like Aladdin forgetting 'Open Sesame'.  I feel like the person with a leaky roof who, when it is raining plans to call the roofer after the rain is over.  However, after the rain has ceased, it somehow never makes it to the top of that day's priority list.

Eight hours after the failure, power was back as silently as it had left.  The moral to this story is:  As with Boy Scouts, one must be prepared.  Try to remember to do that while the power is on!

No comments: