Saturday, June 26, 2010

WHEN YOUR COMPUTER ACTS SCHIZOPHRENIC

My computer decided it would translate text to voice and put up a tutorial to learn my voice.  This appeared to be an unasked for Microsoft product...one like no many others from MS that could not be turned off.  It also was nifty in that it took over the keyboard so I could not type out any emails or anything else for that matter.  Those of you for whom the computer through Google and other programs has become an accessory brain, will understand my panic. I was devastated.

As is my wont, I walked away from it to another computer of mine, newer but with hated Vista, only to find it had dropped its connections to the Internet and in-house network.  At this point I am happy I Was alone because I was surely a blithering idiot.  More time out.

Trying to remember when I last had changed anything, I recalled I had stupidly installed some Mozilla add-ons.  Past experience had taught me that is a no-no, to ever put more than one on, because there is no way of knowing which one was the culprit.  So my only alternative was to take out all that didn't look like I'd had it forever.  As you can readily see, I am now typing and was able to send e-mail. though I'm still having a spot of trouble with restart...it starts up with a blank screen but a cold boot gets everything back to normal

So those freebies often carry pestilence with them.  Downloader, beware!  It is far easier and more effective to prevent a virus or worm than to have to try to remove one.  Sometimes you just can't win, though.  Sometimes you get lucky!

1 comment:

Dana said...

"It is easier to stay out than to get out"
Mark Twain