Friday, July 9, 2010

WASTED TIME

I hesitate to list many of the things that I consider a waste of time, since my feelings are not globally shared.  We might universally agree that working to make a computer perform when it currently is not, can be considered a waste of tim  The exercise was like trying to find your one pair of eyeglasses when you can't see without them..  A couple or more hours of my afternoon were trying to correct a problem when my keyboard (which everything told me was functioning properly) would not type after the second letter and would throw the computer into the start up screen. My computer had suffered a seizure.  It talked to me and didn't let me type.  The narrator droned on and I got strange messages.  I could not type on Firefox or Internet Explorer; I could not get into regedit; and any keyboard click rendered it useless. Most frustrating was identifying the problem.  Fortunately my savior was able to rescue me (on the phone from London) because he made me focus step by step through a long process of elimination (the mental exercise kind) during which my fantasies of eliminating the computer scored high.  It takes an afternoon like this to realize how much you once knew and have forgotten.  At least, I had remembered to note that the computer was plugged in and on and the keyboard and mouse worked properly though that didn't get me anywhere useful.

Preparing nutritional meals is also a real waste of time to me.  I finally have learned to steam vegetables, find them adequately filling, and no longer stuff myself on carbohydrates that are easy to crunch directly from the bag and call it a meal. If I time myself, I can listen to the news and make a 2-egg omelet that fills my tummy for several hours, so I get away with only two meals a day with an occasional bit of snacking.

The third waste of time is respomdomg to the Poltergeists.  I have to pick up the things they make me drop.  I have to hunt for the things they hide.  I'm forced to repair the many things they break or have fall apart in my hands.  They have forced me to repair clocks, glue wood together amd learn to clamp it, and do all sorts of 'not-my-department' jobs.

Maybe my next life will be easier?

No comments: