Saturday, July 24, 2010

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT DEAD BOLT LOCKED DOOR AND NO KEY

When I find myself with an errand that needed to be done in someone's house and only I could save their house from the two dogs whose bladders would explode and who would have gnawed through all the furniture from hunger if I didn't make it in as I had lost my key, I panicked.  After phoning every one I knew who might have had an idea, I realized that no one answers their cell phone on a Friday night and locksmiths only tend to businesses and not private phones, even thought they say to' leave a message and your called will be returned right away.". 

Secondly,I  checked further in Google and found a willing locksmith, at last. However, perseverance won and Google will found one perfectly willing to come to wherever I would be, though I said I was not the owner of the house.  I had to return a call twice because in my panic I could not remember the street name nor my cell phone number (which I never call)..

When the half hour had become an hour, It got a call from someone who said he's already on a call more than a half hour away which will take an hour to do...and then there is the unpredictable traffic....'do you mind that it will be in two hours', the alternative being that there is no option.  Two and a half hours later a very nice man finally came and had never been told I had no key.  His boss and he related like your doctor and his receptionist, like the only parlor game...leave a message and be amazed and the creative distortion the doctor hears as your problem.

You will be be presented with your 'options'.  The first is he can try to pick the lock (since no mention has been made of cost to this point I thought to ask) for a fee that would pay a semester of tuition in an Ivy League college.  At least a first born was not requested...which is good since I am a senior citizen which would have made a serious problem.  He mumbled something about being close to Boston and it was probably a security lock.  It was a dead bolt.  He first tried keys of several makes he had (I presume some sort of Master keys) but this was not among them.  His estimate for trying to.'pick' the lock was staggering and I told him I could have several sessions with a psychiatrist for less but, if that didn't work he would have to drill the lock out and it would then be equivalent to the four year tuition for his yet to be born children and f all his relatives.  I suggested that we pray to his God since I didn't have one that answered me on specific traumas like this.    Fortunately the ten minutes it took to pick the lock worked and I was able to gain entry.

A credit card and my license shown and my problem was solved!  Ah, the greatness of modern science and legal lock pickers.  Instead of breaking and entering, they do it with your permission and payment, saving themselves having to steal and fence what they might have stolen!

No comments: