Monday, August 16, 2010

SAME BOOK: DIFFERENT TITLE

For the past couple of years I have been buying a lot of used paperbacks and have also continued my search for Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice sequels.  I've noticed some interesting new (at least to me) publishing ploys.

The same book is being reprinted under a new title.  Pemberley's Promise and Darcy's Voyage is identical and by the same author though as few more pages have been added to introduce the story.  It is very easy to be misled if one doesn't read the inside pages and other details of a book before purchasing it.  As I tend to buy all P&P sequels, I've been stung but don't like repeating the experience.  I follow the rule,' those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it'.

Another set of the same book under a new title and cover but with the same story and cast of characters seems to be Pemberley by the Seas and The Man Who Loved Pride and Prejudice.

Another trick being used by publishers who reprint paperbacks is to rename a book and in small print put two titles of old books in it.  It seems that many of the writers of romance novels, writing for years, seem to be being sold in this fashion.  In fact, at times it is difficult to buy one title so one is forced to buy the double books to get a single title for which one has searched.

Ah well, I guess everyone is out to fleece the innocent.  Just remember, "Buyer Beware"

No comments: