Monday, October 4, 2010

KEEPING THE WORLD ON THE DEFENSIVE

Osama bin Laden has the world on the defensive again.  I'm always suspicious that he likes it to be that way and the threats are deliberate to obfuscate what his real intentions are.

Today the London Tube system will be shut down on strike.  People will be scrambling to get to work by bus but few will be able to afford to drive.  There is a toll of somewhere near the equivalent of $28 to jujst be able to drive into the city.

It was kind of the US to warn its travelers to take precautions.  If I were traveling, that isn't easy or cheap to re-arrange travel reservations.  Not all travelers have flexibility and not all are tourists.  People should remember the last bombing in the London Tujbe system.  The world was shocked to see people taking the Underground the next day as though nothing had happened...and , in fact to date, nothing has.  However, on some level we all live in a world of Russian Roulette.

None of us anywhere can be assured we will live to see tomorrow.  Some of us just have better odds of making it by where we are at any given time.

Even if Europe has been alerted, can we be sure that bin Laden's plans really don't focus elsewhere?  I can't say I was comfortable the other day driving through New York until I had gotten off the George Washington Bridge.  As ludicrous as that may be, I still fear driving through tunnels and over bridges knowing all the while that anything can happen anywhere. If it isn't terrorists that will get me, it might be Mother Nature or my health.  Whoever or whatever might be the final threat is a speck of chance in a vast ocean of threats.  I suggest we all keep aware and alert and, most of all, calm and not hysterical..

No comments: