Tuesday, November 23, 2010

HELP DESKS FROM AFAR

Live chat help desks are usually very efficient.  Last night I needed one well after midnight to adjust an Amazon order.  I'm not sure if I would have been able to reach anyone in the USA at that time, likely beyond business hours, but of course, I instantly (well, pretty quickly, at least) got someone in India on the chat Help Desk.  A Mr. Prakash, I think was his name, was efficient, pleasant and solved my problem immediately, with courtesy.  However, I thought an American could have done the same.  It might have cut into the Amazon profit a tad, but with the economy as it is, an American worker would help to improve the economy and get off unemployment rolls.  Amazon would probably make more sales, ergo more profit, with a healthier buyers and the could afford to pay their local help a bit more.  However, the fact that it is an endless loop of perpetuating American poverty by continuing to use foreign help to such a degree

Mr. Prakash spoke with an Indian accent but was easily understood by me, having been raised bilingually, as I have far less difficulty with accents than many of my friends,   I have done a great deal of business with Amazon and know that my boycotting them would not make a bit of difference in their business practices and would deprive me of an excellent purchasing resource.  If anyone has any idea how to bring our outsourced jobs back to the USA, it should be shouted out loud and clear.  If the un-American employers were taxed so that they would be paying their employees overseas as much as if they hired Americans in the US, we might get back the jobs.  

No comments: