Sunday, December 19, 2010

'TIS THE SEASON FOR OLD, HAPPY ENDING, MIRACLE MOVIES

My hands were busy on a project so I couldn't read.  Since I rarely watch movies of any sort on TV, it was a novelty for me this afternoon to watch some LifeTime tear-jerkers ( I say that humbly and honestly, not in a derogatory intent) as I worked.  Recently most news has been horrifyingly clear at how cruel mankind is, how arrogant and greedy the people who have the most control of our lives can be, and how violence seems to enjoyed as 'entertainment.'

It was nice to see movies where people were warm, human and kind to one another.  Why that should bring  me to tears puzzled me for some time.  I speculated it was a verity on triggers....past ghosts, memories of a kinder world, sadness at our current inhumane one, and good actors who were able to emote in a realistic way....at least well enough for me to feel the sadness they were projecting in the story and with their acting.

Normally I prefer happy stories with happy endings but not even romance novels are written that way.  Their formula is that there must be suspense and angst before the final happy resolution.  That is why I frequently re-read the ones I liked, so I can skip the anxiety producing and sad  parts.

The 1983 A Christmas Story;  1947 Miracle on 34th Street; 1954 White Christmas, are just a few of the gems we will be treated to as we are most every Christmas and never seem to tire of them.  Even non-Christians can relate to movies where people were caring, giving and kind.  There probably was a reason why, as children in grade school, we all had to read so many stories like The Christmas Carol by Dickens.

Check this site out for some previews.  And, if you don't remember O. Henry's Gift of the Magi find a coyp in the library and see how much our world and values have changed.

No comments: