Tuesday, February 1, 2011

HOW IS DECIDED WHAT ONE'S TIME IS WORTH?

Recently, I downloaded some software.  One was free, presumably to help maintain a clean registry.  The second was a $40 download that had a screen which whizzed by suggesting that I make a CD of the program...the screen was gone before I could do that little chore. This was Golden Records,    a program to convert vinyl LPs to CDs.

The registry program took over so that I was unable to delete it nor run regedit to get it off my computer.  so I could get it out of the registry.  As most of you have guessed,  restoring my computer to two days prior, got rid of both programs.  I assumed I might be able to contact NCH, the Australian company which readily took my credit card payment but with whom I have been unable to make any contact through their web site.which is all that is available to me.  I believe I did find an address for their corporate offices but doubt that any snail mail correspondence will reach someone who would be likely to take action from the corporate offices.  It would take my composing and printing the letter, taking a trip to the post office to get it mailed to Australia and waiting for who-knows-how-long for a reply. 

Now I am faced with a dilemma...for $40, how much time and effort am I willing to spend to get back what I legally own but had not yet even used,   I can be sympathetic to companies who market some insignificant software as compared to other of their products.  However, I had no plan to cheat anyone though I feel cheated. That my being forced to restore my computer should not allow me to get my $40 investment back the day after my download, or be allowed to download again since the company has proof of payment and that I was given a license number..

No comments: