Monday, February 7, 2011

SUPERBOWL VIEWED BY A FOOTBALL ILLITERATE

So I would not miss the beginning of the game, I listened to the two singers...the first being America  and the second, The Star Spangled Banner.  America was not too bad but why singers, shouting into the mike at the top of their lungs, think they can improve either as was written by singing harmony notes instead of the real melody, then wobbling some of the tones like an off-key trill, thinking  to enhance.  The songs  were clearly written and no singer ever improved them by making them arias.

Forced to watch it alone,  there was no one to answer my naive questions. I have never understood what constitutes 3 points and what makes 2 points  Google answered my questions and I didn't have to feed the computer chips, dips and beer.  I had never watched either team before.  They were both wearing orange!. At the beginning when they were all doubled over, all I could see was a field of orange butts .  I hadn't the foggiest idea which team was which.  By the end of the first quarter I noticed that half of them had white shirts and half black.  By the next quarter I realized that they weren't black, they were dark green, only looking black.  Using  my  powers of deduction, I figured the green must have been the Green Bay Packers and by the half  I had it confirmed.

My ego wasn't totally deflated; I can at least say I understood most of the commercials.   I am definitely the wrong generation of music lovers to have appreciated the half time show.  I hate people thinking they are singing when they are screaming into a mike, using atrociously poor grammar in the lyrics, and generally dumbing-down the message content of the lyrics..  Blinking and colored lights. weird hair-dos, andstrange clothes don't make it music.

The best of the evening:  Vince Lombardi came back home to Green Bay!  I love to see underdogs prevail.  It  was wonderful to see Aaron Rogers get some well-deserved limelight as MVP. It just wasn't the time for  Ben Roethlisberger. and the Steelers. 

No comments: