Tuesday, March 22, 2011

LEGAL SPAM

It is currently legal for companies to tap into your computer clicks and file away all sorts of personal information about what you buy and where you go on the Internet.  This is so they can better tailor advertising to what may suit your needs and tastes whether you wish it or not.  Another concept of 'one-size-fits-all' gone astray..

I am what might be called a senior-senior.  However, All the drug stores who offer me a discount on any prescriptions I transfer to them are wasted as I take no prescription drugs.  My hearing is still relatively acute so I don't need free hearing tests so that I will buy thousands of dollars worth of hearing aids.  I live in the home from which I intend to live until I die unless I lose my health and mind.  I drown in offers of free home appraisal and offers to sell my home.  In either case I will not be in need of a town house or "cottage" at a retirement home which requires astronomical down payment and monthly fees and which sports several levels of opportunity for care before your cremation.  Nor am I looking for a nursing home though they seem to be looking for me.

While my knees are not great,  I do not need a hover chair or scooter, nor an electric chair lift from my  basement to the second floor for which I could trade my annual food budget and jujst float up on my own. If I dare to buy a product from a disabilities catalog  (I happen to like talking clocks though I am still sighted) I am advised whenever there is a new model of raised toilets, walkers, shower aids, and every other goodie known to man for people who are missing their senses or mobility.

Actually, I prefer getting this legal spam on my computer because deleting has not yet caused carpal tunnel syndrome.  However, I begrudge that I am totally ignored when I try to stop the demise of trees. Those poor dead trees no longer give off oxygen but bring me catalogs of fashion for the black woman (though I am Caucasian), products for pets (though I don't own one), and (because I bought a sexual aid for a shy patient once years ago) I am unable to turn off the equivalent of the ocean salt machine of offers for titillation that would make a woman-of-the-night blush.

Since my ISP provider likes to make decisions for me as to what is junk, whether I wish it to or not, I must, therefore, go through my junk folder for those misdirected.  The mail provider also thinks it is kind to put back deleted items that have not been opened, assuming that I might be missing something of import to me!

I am a modern Diogenes who is looking for someone who will not try to make decisions for me!

No comments: