Thursday, June 16, 2011

STANLEY CUP TO THE BOSTON BRUINS: JOY ABOUNDS

It is still not possible for me to say, "We won." as so many of my friends say of any of our Boston teams.  It remains, "They won!"  I didn't play, nor did I physically ache after the game.  I can identify the team as based in Boston, though I doubt many of the players are Boston bred.  I will also confess that I would not have felt the same elation if it had been the Canucks with a win.

This response of mine was not initially clear to me.  After the game was over I 'felt' all the emotions by listening to interviews and watching facial cues and body language.  To borrow from baseball, "There was no joy in Mudville, Vancouver. It didn't take a particularly sensitive person to read the pain and tears on the faces of the Canucks.  It also was uplifting to identify with the cheers, back slapping and joy on their faces and the many decibels from their mouths when the playoffs were over and Boston Bruins had won.

Zdeno Chara
Clearly, fans had found something and somebodies with whom they could feel pride as the team demonstrated their rapture for their win.  There is so little today that can pull out so much collective and connecting good spirit and pride in our lives today..  War heroes don't offer the same kind of joy to us, though they are certainly equally deserving.  However, we don't usually see the same expressions on their faces.  Awarded posthumously, as so many are of the medals, it is quite understandable. 

Sad to say, the places in our current America where such joy can be experienced are most apt to be through sports.  That is a sad testimonial to what life in America has become.

No comments: