Sunday, June 5, 2011

TORTURE NEED NOT BE VIOLENT

During my lifetime I have thought torture to be something applied to one's body.   Something the Catholic church did during the inquisition, for example.  I envisioned people being burned alive, joints separated on the rack.  It all seemed a barbaric and cruel infliction on fellow mankind that should be in the past.  I believed that it could only happen when uneducated people seeking power knew only to break people physically and mentally...

However, I was wrong.  Torture in our modern times is only indirectly caused to the body.  It is caused by those who wish poverty on the middle and poorer classes.  It is included in Paul Ryan's budget with his unconscionable cute to programs that cause the most harm to growing children, women's health, and opportunities for our country to educate more children towards productive futures for themselves and our total economy.

Further proof as to how wrong I had been, I thought the United States was above using torture.  The Bush administration proved me wrong though I was still focused on the notion that torture was a physical action.  While I understood emotional abuse I never associated it with the results of it.  As I think more on it, I realize that the Republicans, as I hear them, do not differentiate between their rhetoric, lies and attempt to raise the monied class while putting most  responsibility for the economy costs to our country on the backs of the middle and poor class, those least able to afford them.

By not asking the upper class  to pay their fair share, the Republicans are forcing a higher portion from their meager incomes to pay for the function of the government,  The result to too many families can clearly be defined as torture with the resulting inability of parents to provide education to their children, proper nutrition, medical care, and other life necessities. .

No comments: