Sunday, August 28, 2011

WAITING FOR THE BIG WIND

In my many decades of life, I do not remember ever watching the slow passage of a Hurricane all the way up the East coast.It was lovely to watch it weakening hour by hour, to see that the eye will not be passing over us here, and the likelihood would be that the worse that might happen here will be loss of electrical power.  It surely takes many hours of anxiety away, thanks to the media stations who never quit the reporting.


Goodnight, Irene
Nor, in years past, did people know enough in advance to put out signs, directives on how to prepare  for safety, or even not to bother taping up windows.  Never has a weather event been better covered in my lifetime...far better than any war or political event.


It is comforting to know that if power is lost, I can still flush a toilet and get  water to drink and bathe.  There are some advantages to less rural living.  My educated guess is that the worse that will happen will be a loss of electrical power, in which case I will lose some frozen and fresh food.  Given the loss of life in Virginia, I can, in all reality, 'live' with that.


MSNBC has had this coverage on 24 hours a day for several days now.  How boring this must be for people in the mid-West and West   I know how bored I have been when coverage for days has been a boring repetition about places like mud slides in CA of million dollar homes.  After the first mudslides were reported, it was hard for me to raise empathy for the people who moved there or rebuilt    I'm sure if I knew the whole truth I would find out that people had no choice to do otherwise due to financial constraints or other information I am lacking.


Despite an East  coast earthquake this week and a hurricane up the entire East coast, I still believe this is one of the safest areas in the country from nature's weather or earth events.













No comments: