Sunday, January 15, 2012

WATCHING FOOTBALL OCCASIONALLY

I watch football coward-style.  What I mean is, as long as my team is ahead, I watch.  When the game is tight, I may nail bite while hiding out in the other room, listening, then peek when the decibels rise.  I love watching it when it is going well for my team.  You might guess accurately, I watch very few games. Playoff games usually attract me because they are the games most talked about (at least around me, it seems...or maybe I just listen more carefully). They are also a short commitment.  (I am TV commitment phobic and don't like long series.)

My use of  spectator sports comes out of my determination to live the rest of my life as stress-free as possible. I have a choice as to whether I want to be stressed, at least in recreational choices.  I am an emotional sponge and identify with emotions emanating from the field.  Naturally the vibes I pick up are more often from my team since they are the ones I watch most closely.

1/14/2012: Bronchos vs Patriots.  I have been hearing about religious Tim Tebow as though God was watching out for him alone. I believe, if God is watching over any of us, it would be all of us because we are equally created in his image, right?  Thus, I believe God uses the law of averages and parcels things out randomly.  I doubt if God wants to be accused of playing favorites, even if they don't pray to him today but might tomorrow.  Even Newt Gingrich got religion, after all..  It wouldn't look good for God to have pets, now would it?

Tonight, Brady broke records, and his whole team broke a record for most points in a playoff game.  There were other records out of that game, as well.  The truth of it, as I see football, is like Hillary Clinton had written about It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a whole team to win games.. A team is like a chain and includes all the players and the coaches. One weak link and the chain breaks. As Tom Brady quotes his coach, "It's all about winning."  They did: 45 to 10, another record for most point spread in a playoff.


No comments: