Thursday, May 24, 2012

MICROSOFT/COMCAST/BBC CONSPIRE TO MAKE MY LIFE MORE DIFFICULT

Using Firefox as my browser is something I have had to defend frequently in the past.  It meets all my needs in a browser.  There were places where I could not shop, years ago, unless I used Internet Explorer.  I deplore monopolies and, thus, I do not like to use IE.  Online stores ought not to sell unless they have made it possible for all browser users to pay them.

I've had Comcast since the end of last October.  Every time I go online (I use the BBC News as my home page and have to wait until all the ad people finish raping my computer).  Sometimes it takes them so long to gather their stolen info that I just shut the browser request down and then call it again.  A friend told me how to get something on my computer that would not allow those ad info-thieves.  However, I could not get it to work on my computer and gave up the attempt when I ran out of time.

Having put up with a pop-up (though pop-ups are supposed to be disallowed by my settings) when I go to type something in the Google search bar.  It reads Comcast.net in small letters and is some sort of coupon for Radley, London. It comes on after I have typed a letter and. since I look at the keyboard as I continue to type, when I think I have finished it is blank after the first letter as the pop-up stops my typing.  I have a problem wasting time as I am convinced that, at my age, I have a limited life left.  Having put up with this for months I called Comcast and wasted more than a half hour on the phone maze, getting cut off when I pressed the wrong number since my problem didn't fit any of their categories, I finally got to a human who told me she was in billing and could not help me but would put me over to tech support.

Tech support had never heard of that problem but transferred me top another extension which would have cost me $40 for that contact.   I was back again with another tech support  who had me go to tools, and read the menu she saw on her machine.  I told her I was running a PC-XP.(the menu was on Firefox.)  When she finally believed that I was able to read and believed me, she insisted I go on IE.  There the menu allowed me to set a no pop-up option which cut that particular ad pop-up from showing itself.  She insisted that I could use IE or contact Firefox directly and gave me their number.  I thanked her for 'solving' one problem but let her know that since there seemed to be a collaboration between Microsoft and Comcast on this pop-up, I would urge her to let the higher ups know the problem because people can always change ISPs.  She finally started to be more mellow with, "I hear your problem but can do nothing about it."    I told her she was obviously not listening to me as I just told her something she could do about it and she clearly doesn't intend to do it.

Rant over, I may have to change my home page since it is clearly connected with the UK.  I will waste some more time playing with it before I call Firefox or reach out for more suggestions.  Life certainly wastes a lot of time, doesn't it?




No comments: