Sunday, June 24, 2012

PIXAR'S LATEST SUCCESS: BRAVE

There are many people who consider the Pixar movies as for children only.  It has been many decades since I was a child and I have loved them all.There is an understanding of humanity reached especially in Toy Story III, and in their latest, Brave.  The characters are caricatures of ancient Scots.  They are lovable, understandable, and there is an added touch of witchcraft in the movie.

Pixar movies may not make the list of heavy human dramas but they do portray humans in their best and worst faces. It is beautifully done by sets, characters are unique, and for a change we have a heroine rather than a hero.  Another nice touch is that there is not boy gets girl or vice versa in the end. The story is basically about a princess who fights tradition and being forced to marry without choice.  However, there is less political statement than study of parental love and strength of family ties.

For a professional review beyond my saying I love it and think many who would not lower themselves to go to a kids' movie would probably love it if they decided to check it out.

As always, I forced myself to read what the reviewer had to say.  I rarely agree with reviewers so, if I read them at all, it is after I've seen the movie to see if there is something I missed. It shows in both 2D and 3D.  We saw it is 3D which I happen to feel enhances the feel of being there.  I disagree. It does not feel like a Disney movie to me.  I think (whether it is John Lassier's influence or someone other, Pixar does its own distinctive work.  The poignancy is so real it brought tears to my eyes.  However, it still fits into my demand for only 'feel good' movies.


No comments: