Sunday, June 3, 2012

SENIORS SOMETIMES HAVE NOT CHANGED WITH THE TIMES

In a discussion the other day with someone who rarely views the world as I do , I was told that 'black people' are having far more children out of wedlock than anyone else.  I pointed out that the Republicans would not allow abortions, that does not help unwanted pregnancies..  He told me they wouldn't get them anyway because they just wanted to get on the welfare rolls.  I asked if he realized how welfare criteria had changed since Clinton was president.  He knew nothing about that.  I wondered just who was being included in his statistics.  It was clear that only African Americans were included in his reading of the statistic

 I suggested  many business women, professionals, and others who wanted a child, but not a husband, were having children (out of wedlock, as he defined them).  I said that lots of people lived together and did not bother to get married because of tax laws. He started to talk about entertainers who had lived together for years but now wanted a divorce.  I reminded him that, if you are not married, you don't need a divorce. This confused him.  It confirmed for how facts have a difficult time intruding into prejudices and false beliefs.  It reminded me of an in-law years ago who used to say, "Just give me Monday and Tuesday, I'll fill in the rest."  Unfortunately too many are doing just that today.

This person also talked about John Edwards and was shocked that I didn't agree he was guilty and that he 'got away with 'it' '.  I told him I think Edwards is an immoral snake but that didn't mean he had violated a law..  Since my discussion was with a Gingrich fan and had wanted him to be President, I asked how he thought Gingrich any different since he was adulterous while his first wife was dying of cancer..  He changed the subject.

To me, the most important group of voters that need to be addressed directly by Obama, are those seniors who still live with values in their heads of the 30s and 40's which have long since been changed for most of the rest of us. These folk are often racially and morally prejudiced, know little about mental health, can't keep up with the shattering pace as news are presented today on TV, still prefer to read newspapers at their own pace but absorb few balanced facts.

The tragedy is that many of them will vote for the candidate with the most appealing lies and promises!!!!

No comments: