Sunday, July 8, 2012

DOES ANYONE BUT MARTIN BASHIR SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH ON TV ANY MORE?

As a child, I struggled through learning math without a calculator, penmanship that is legible by Palmer Method for hours of drilling; and proper grammar.  I cringe when I hear news casters say things like, "Me and him are going to..."; substituting 'myself' when they mean me or I, and never realizing when to use I, me, who and whom.  I accept that some things have changed since I was in grade school (apparently even history) but it saddens me so many do not seem to even know that the verb 'to be' takes the nominative case....if memory serves me this far.


My morals are less insulted by today's world than the communication being like fingernails scraping a blackboard.    If you've never been trained to hear good music, on pitch, you might not notice the clinkers that a poor musician can make (or you've never been forced to go to a fourth grade recital of musicians in their first year of brass or reed instruments).

It has become so painful to watch faces reflect that they think I am speaking inaccurately when I answer, "This is I".  We have all become so used to saying, "It's me".that it is beginning to sound odd to hear, "It's I'..  There are many things we have to learn today but if we can't learn grammar, we write terrible books because the editors do not know how to correct the grammar.  Since I often re-read books I like, I correct the grammar so I don't cringe as much on the second read.

Please help bring back education to our schools.

No comments: