Thursday, August 2, 2012

THE SUMMER OLYMPICS DID NOT SEEN THE DRAW THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE PAST

In the past, the Olympics seemed to draw more conversation, interest and rooting for favorites than it seemed to be this year.  It bounced through my head why I was experiencing the whole thing as different.  Finally it occurred to me that so many people have ON DEMAND now and DVRs that there are not the dark circles under eyes at work the next morning from staying up to all hours to watch the games.

Today, I decided to take my neighbor's advice and look at ON DEMAND.  I was unaware of the many games I had never known were part of the Olympics.  It was fascinating to watch an Epee competition.  A brilliant American by such a small margin that it saddened me and I knew neither of the gentlemen.

Watching the sadness and pathos of the young women of all teams who fumbled in their gymnastics is heart wrenching.  Unfortunately, I am an emotional sponge   When I see sadness, I tear.  I say this because it seems a contradiction.  I have rarely cried over something in my own life though much has saddened and frightened me over the years.  I chalk up my lack of sobbing to not having a high level of cortisol to rid.  When I tear because someone is so sad on TV, it is just that, a slight, short, tearing of my eyes and a feeling of empathy with their sadness.  I have never felt the same sadness I would feel over something in my own life.

There must be a universal identification with the happiness and joy,justified pride and tearfulness that the struggle to reach the just attained goal after so many years of pain, sacrifice and effort has finally paid off for those few. 

No comments: