Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DENIAL OF FACTS AND UNTRUTHFULNESS PERVADE OUR REPUBLICAN POLITICS

It was unfortunate that the occasion when I could finally have an intelligent discussion about politics was at a Celebration of the Life of a mutually loved and departed friend.  Too often I have talked with people who disfavor Obama and are full of misinformation. The person who sees the world as I do is unlikely to be someone I may ever see again though we can exchange emails.

tonight someone told me she was against Obama because he was too 'liberal'.  With obvious shock in my face, I asked what he was too liberal about.  Her inability to name one thing other than she thought he spent too much money, I again (figuratively gritting my teeth) asked what she thought he was spending money on?  You, my readers will not be surprised she could not say.  When I pointed out that the Stimulus package was started by Bush and that he had spent us into trillions of dollars of debt having come into office with a balanced budget I could have been talking Chinese.  She claims to have no racial prejudice, she has just never liked Obama and thinks Mitt Romney is the better candidate but admits she really doesn't know any of his policies.

Since she has no 'facts' and, as an intelligent person. has made no attempt to obtain any, I can only assume her objections must be emotional as they are clearly not based on logic.and fact.  There must be a better way to elect candidates than they lying and cheating we have seen in the past few months.

I can understand people want to stick by their integrity and deep religious faith, though I confess that some go beyond my ability to comprehend since they have abandoned all ability to think on their own.  I cannot accept ignorance from otherwise intelligent people.  When the truth is in front of you, how can you not reach out for it?  There are those in our society who will always operate on denial.  I missed that gene.  I also missed the ability to tolerate untruthful people and find it impossible to respect them.

1 comment:

Frank J. Lhota said...

In a lot of ways, my biggest problem with Obama is that he is not liberal enough. He has been cracking down on medical marijuana dispensaries. He has been rounding up undocumented workers at a higher rate than we ever saw in the Bush years. The Obama administration has been terrible about transparency: see https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/under-obama-administration-freedom-information-act-still-shackles. Warrantless wiretaps and other Patriot Act civil liberty violations continued under Obama. On all of these issues, I would have been happier if he had stuck to the liberal positions he took in the 2008 campaign.

Granted, Romney is no better on these issues, and that is what is so frustrating about the 2012 race. It's a fight between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, with no major candidate standing up for civil liberties, peace, and freedom. No wonder polls show record numbers of Americans do not affiliate themselves with either party.