Saturday, October 27, 2012

HURRICANE SANDY MAY BE A VISITOR SOON

It has been some time since Massachusetts Boston area has had a substantial hurricane.  It is impossible to sound enthusiastic that we may or may not have one early next week.  Listening to the weather can be quite disheartening.  "The storm has already killed 20 people in the Bahamas."

It is a time such as this when I miss the generator my husband had hooked up before he, and later it, went to the great beyond.  Naturally, the plan to get one installed doesn't materialize until too late since the shelves have long been cleared of them at the hint of the storm.

Recalling the great hurricane of 1939 when I was a child, I recall everything that was loose on our farm flying around.  I no longer live on a farm but there are still things in the yard that can be caught up in the wind.  I recall in the 50s that we were told to stay away from windows, frequently ignored by people who have to 'see everything'.

It is impossible for me to believe God takes care of us or he wouldn't have sent a hurricane in the first place and randomly knocked off people who are believers.  Nevertheless, living with the credo of never worrying about anything over which I have no control, the best I can do is try to be prepared as possible. I will pull things into the house that can take off with the wind or see that they cannot be moved easily.  I will have as much food as I can eat, even if the power goes.  Since I have a gas stove (our natural gas has never been lost in such a storm before) I might even be able to heat water or make soup.

The thing that concerns me most, aside from my physical safety, is what will happen during the last few days of the campaign and my ability to vote and follow the results.  Whoever will become president will be, whether I monitor it or not, but it never feels that way.

No comments: