Sunday, November 11, 2012

BEN STEIN: EXPELLED:THE VIDEO

Occasionally some Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door,  I've always been interested in how people think so I talk to whoever is a representative though my favorite JW got married and there are knew people whom i don't know very well now.  The last time as I informed them I am an Atheist because I could never make a believer simply by 'having faith' for which I am constitutionally unprepared.Somehow we got into a discussion about evolution which, I was informed, is only a theory.  Thus, apparently, one nice lady (who insisted evolution is only a theory) dropped off this video for me to watch.

It took a few weeks to have it get somewhat near the top of the pile of things I want to do, simply because it is about time she will come to retrieve it.  The film is nicely done, seemingly well represented by opposing views, but I fire up when I hear evolution used in eugenics.  As with everything else in science, there is rarely a singular cause.  Just because Nazi Germany used evolution as a way of trying to make perfect people by killing off all those whose genes they thought not to allow to be used in procreation, they ignored that the environment can be toxic to a fetus, substances ingested by the mother can, in utero, harm the fetus as can diseases she may contract while gestating.

The major theme of the film was whether Intelligent Design might be responsible for our species and world.  Instead of accepting that evolution is real, it seems to be thrown out as a valid concept because no one can explain why or how it got started.  Neither can the many Gods of the religions of our worlds be better explained, but they are accepted by many.  That Creationists decided to couple with Intelligent Design and teach what they cannot explain in schools never is answered in the film, since it obviously has no answer.

The film was out in the market in 2008.  Much of what is used is from the Bible does not mention how little was known by science and physics at those times.  It is ridiculous to hold up those ideas today and claim all you need to survive is a Bible.  I will be a big disappointment to my JW ladies when I next see them and return the video.  We will not agree on our interpretation of the conclusions to be drawn from the video.  I will still believe in the importance of evolution even though we know nothing about the origin of life on our planet and I will continue to belief there is not God as humans define their Gods.  There may,m in fact, be a designer somewhere but that would be more like a parent giving birth nor an omniscient, omnipotent being who watches over each of us individually and rewards or punishes us for the paths we choose.

I guess I am bound to reach my death having not all the answers to my questions and will be most pleasantly surprised if I discover I have a soul, another self, an alternate universe in which I get to live all over again.  Will I know that I have been reborn?  If so, why are we all born as babies with no memories or functioning brains for language, puzzle solving, etc.?

No comments: