Thursday, November 1, 2012

NEVER FEELING ON THE INSIDE OR AS 'ONE OF THEM' Part 2

Relating the feelings that watching the documentary on Obama on CurrentTV stirred in me, I also rarely found people who could have understood my life.  How could I relate to a sorority when my mother said things such as when she asked me why I wasn't like other girls.  "Why didn't I buy a nice nightgown and join a nice nightclub?'  By attending school three summers, I graduated with a liberal arts degree when I was not yet 20while my class went on until June.  By graduation, I was disconnected with everyone with whom I had shared .classes, occasionally with 300 in the class presented totally in lecture form.  The detachment from close relationships, though I dated and was close to boyfriends, those were perceived as temporary ion my mind.  We had moved from the farm to the city, so once again, I felt displaced and disconnected as I commuted (a shorter T die) to graduate school for the next two years.

Once again, at barely 20 I fond myself within classes much older than I up to their 60s.  Like Obama, to find peace within myself, my personal contacts shrunk to those few with whom I felt comfortable and friends who accepted me for who I was.  Barack Obama faced a great deal more animosity than I and I realized, he as a male was judge for her 50% of blackness.  Though he had identified as white earlier, he now identified as black and he married where he loved and felt accepted.

Oddly, while my parents wanted me to marry within their religion and culture, especially to young man of first generation in the US of Greek descent.  I did not love him and did not wish to live a life caught up in tat decades old culture which had not changed since being cut off from Greece sine WW1.  My parents had many friends just as they but I was now caught between two worlds.  I disobeyed my father, refused to marry his choice for me, and instead chose someone whose family arrived in America in 1630.

To be continued.....

No comments: