Wednesday, March 13, 2013

CHANGING COMPUTER PLATFORMS IS EXERCISE IN AGING

Every time I changed ISPs I had to change my email address, so I got my own domain, thought I would have less work with mail in the future.  Not to be so.  When I switched to an iMAC after my PC died, my mail server had to be connected to it and a new mail configuration created.  First, I appealed to a MAC user who was kind enough to find the tutorial for doing just that

The tutorial, frustratingly, told me to click on things that weren't where she said they would be.  A lovely lady's voice told me to go to File and click on Add Account.  There was no such action listed on file.  Then I noticed email page location and, voila, a new menu appeared with Add Account.  None of that happened quickly and nothing let me know that it was no my attempt but the server was not working properly.  One must understand that things happen on many levels in many places.  Is the problem at the source, your ISP receiving the mail first?  Next, if that is working it gets sent to your domain server.  Today a problem originated there but not until frustration drove a call to the server help line was that evident.

After working for a couple of hours, starting over and over again because the page is the wrong one right or somehow the page being worked on suddenly disappears.  Either Murphy was vacationing or Mercury in retrograde decided to make my life miserable because 'anything that could go wrong, did'.  Avery kind friend managed to get back my ability to send email, having been lost for several days, but, exhausted after a busy day, we decided to try again tomorrow when the full moon is over.

We live with information overload.  It would make life better if the information was based on reality and truth.  People say how quickly children learn things.  I'm convinced because they repeat what they learn quickly and really don't even know why something works, only that it does.  I can learn things but, if I don't use that which I have learned for a few weeks, I have to learn it all over again.  Writing everything down is useful if you remember where you put the note.  The alternative to learning is to be helpless and it is as unappealing as the alternative to life.

No comments: