Sunday, March 10, 2013

WHEB NATURE PLAYS TRICKS




On September 12, 2012 I was given part of a Streptocarpus leaf  (click here for description) with instructions for propagation by using part of a leaf  to make a new plant.  I dutifully followed instructions and nothing seemed to happen week after week for more than three months.  Not being a paragon of patience I had to rely on trust that I was told it might take a long time (it was, after all, winter when things are not expected to grow rapidly) and the donor leaf looked quite healthy.  I kept it covered with a plastic bonnet and waited, and waited, and waited. NA

In February I noticed a slight change. It appeared some growth was turning the slight green into something looking like tiny leaves.  I continued to leave it under its plastic tent and watered it along with my other plants.  In the daytime I took it off the rack when the lights were turned off and put it on a windowsill to catch the daylight. 

By mid-February the donor leaf was looking hardy. Then my worst nightmare happened.  I had watered the plants on the rack and realized I couldn’t remember last seeing the Streptocarpus.  For one week I struggled, looking everywhere I might have (knowing I hadn’t) moved the tiny plant.  With s glorious ‘aha!’ moment, I looked more closely at a little plant that turned into a miniature bush and wondered what it was.  If I had the sense to look at the obscured label I would have had my answer but easy solutions rarely come to me.  The leaves, though small, had a definite Streptocarpus look…about an elongated inch and a half and with a slightly hairy matte appearance.

Enraptured with my find, I grabbed a small Oyama, planted and marked the date, labeling the pot.

Moral: an old dog CAN learn new tricks!









                                                                                                                            

No comments: